Tuesday, July 19, 2011

16 July - Family Ant Atoll Trip

Saturday 16 July saw us take the kids on the boat for the trek to Ant Atoll for the first time. We also took our friends Caroline and Johnathon, with their kids Wills and Imogen. This is a long blog so grab a brew and come back....

We took the Australian Embassy boat for the day. A bit more comfortable than True Blue and definately better for the kids. They sat with their heads out the window like little puppies for the 1.5hr journey.

Inside Ant Atoll. Its a truly amazing place.


Straight onto the and crack out the bucket and spade. Does it get any better?


Indy had the right idea. Get Daddy to tow her around in the ski-tube.


Nic and Caroline went for a snorkel so I took the kids up the beach to round up some hermit crabs for a 'crab race. The kids decided that they need sand to eat so that filled up the bucket just enough for them to be able to escape.


Meanwhile the girls were experiencing the wonders of Ant Atoll under the water.


It was an overcast day so it made it a whole lot easier to get some great underwater photos.



Clams, clams and more clams. Great colours once again.


Back on the beach I tried out the 'Macro' setting on the camera for a few 'in the bucket' crab photos.


The race track was drawn up and the bucket was turned over. The kids were screaming their heads off and the race hadn't even started.


And there off. I thought it might take them a while but I was wrong, they headed for the hills as soon as the bucket was lifted. I was lucky to get out of the circle with all my limbs....


And we have a winner.


Freaky looking fella this one.


About to get moving turns into.....


shutting up shop when the camera gets too close.


It takes all shapes and sizes to live in the hermit crab kingdom.


I took a 3.5kg muddie over to join me for lunch. Couldn't resist taking this photo.


Lunch on the beach. Nothing like peanut butter, jam and sand sangas.


A great photo of the three kids. They loved the ski-tube.



This hermit crab loved the rest of Indy's lunch.


Relaxing island style.


One last snorkel with the kids before heading home.


Jaxon and Indi are real water babies now and love looking at all the fish, fish fish.


Crystal clear water; we didn't want to leave.


Time for a blat around the lagoon on the ski-tube. First up Jaxon and Daddy.


Once Jaxon was comfortable it was both levers all the way forward.


Bye Daddy. It's hard to keep balance and not squash a kid at the same time. That's my excuse anyway.


I didn't fall off, only Daddy fell off. I didn't fall off, only Daddy fell off.


Yeah Yeah Yeah.


Hey what are those other people doing in our island paradise.


Caroline and Imogen had a go and them it was Mummys turn.


We have now tried on five separate occasions to 'ditch' Nic out of the tube. Maybe next time.....


I trolled the pass and hooked up to a very solid dogtooth tuna. Unfortunately it was too big for the hooks and straightened them out. Cheap-arse hooks. Gives me a reason go to the fishing shops in Singapore next week though. Time to upgrade the hooks I think.


We went around again only to have the deep-diving lure hit the reef. After backing the boat up 400 metres and getting all my line and lure back I was rewarded with this piece of coral........


The trip back was calmer than the mornings but it was a long day for the kids. It was a fantastic day, the kids did really well, something we will do again soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    You rule! Hope you're still enjoying:

    I borrowed the crab/beer pic (for this ); I hope you don't mind, otherwise, let me know.
    ps : how was the crab-race... after the beer? ;)

    bernard

    ReplyDelete