Monday, January 2, 2012

29 Dec - Kayaking

It's winter here and all that really means is that it's heaps windy and the ocean is a little rougher. Nic decided that it would be great if we spent some quality time together out on our kayaks. Great idea.....

Looks nice and calm as we leave our place. Maybe this won't be as bad as I thought.


Nope. It was crap. 30 knots of wind (easily) and about a foot of swell doesn't make for much fun on a flat-bottomed wave ski.


After two and a half hours of paddling we made it across the bay to our destination. This is a ten minutes boat ride max to give you some perspective of how slow we went. Once we got there we cut through a channel in the mangroves that was quite magnificent. It nearly made the hard slog worth it. Nearly....


Smack bang in the middle of the island is someone's house. Pretty cool.


Out on the other side we paddled a little more to the old sea-plane runway. A little bit of history never goes astray. We stopped for a bite to eat and then went for a snorkel.


There definately wasn't as much to see as at Black Coral but what was there was fascinating. We think this was some sort of sea horse.


This coral and these blue fish are everywhere on Pohnpei's reefs.


We found these really weird fish. I still have no idea what they are. They were very cool though.


One last photo before the onslaught that was the paddle home. About half way back I would have given anyone $100 to tow me home. I was broken and still had an hours more paddling front of me. I'm sure that it was good for us but I'm not willing to do it again any time soon. I'll wait until the wind dies down, like in June......

No comments:

Post a Comment