Friday, May 25, 2012

First Barramundi

While in Cairns I took the opportunity to head south to Cardwell to meet Adam's Uncle (Wazza) and Aunt (Col). I have to say they are two of the nicest people I've ever met. They have a beautiful home up on the side of a mountain, out of town so it is very peaceful. It was like staying at a resort, I wasn't allowed to do a thing for myself. Fantastic. Hopefully I get to repay the generousity some day. Adam has been torturing me with tales of his adventures barra fishing at Hincherbrook Island for years. We have often talked about doing a trip together but it hasn't happened just yet; we'll get there. It was well worth the drive (and the weeks recovering from the bastard midgi bites). I had never caught a barramundi before so that was the aim of the two (Sat arvo/Sun morn) trips out.

 Two minutes from the boat ramp we come across this bad boy. Easily four metres long. Any lures lost in snags had a reasonable chance of staying there after seeing this beast.

 After losing two barramundi due to nothing but inexperience with how they fight I got a cracka of a first fish. 74cm of quality salt water barra. Does it get any better. It only took three hours and I had achieved my goal, everything was going to be cream after that.

Still trying for the front cover shot.

 Commonly referred to as the 'brag mat'
 Terrible conditions. To be honest we ended up wanting a little wind because as the wind dies the midgis come out even harder. Bastard things.....

 Wazza was pretty impressive with the cast net and it also gave me another opportunity to play with the digital SLR.

 No bait fishing today. All these guys were going home to feed Wazza's pet barra 'Boof'.

Sunday morning saw us out again, unfortunately the tides weren't ideal for a morning fish so we caught some bait and relaxed for about two minutes before my second barra came into the boat. Proving to me how fortunate I was to get such a good fish the previous day. We soldiered on and caught more small barra, mangrove jack, cod and a barracuda. No trophy fish  on the second day, needless to say I lost a great jack at the boat.......

I know the people in the northern parts of Australia are used to this sort of thing but I was blown away by the experience. Loved it. I'll try to get down that was for another crack in a month or so. Thanks Wazza and Col, you guys are absolutely top shelf.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,


    Recently I came across some great articles on your site. The other day, I was discussing ( http://cocktailsoutofcoconuts.blogspot.in/2012/05/while-in-cairns-i-took-opportunity-to.html) with my colleagues and they suggested I submit an article of my own. Your site is just perfect for what I have written! Would it be ok to submit the article? It is free of charge, of course!

    Let me know what you think
    Contact me at john26anderson@gmail.com

    Regards,
    John Anderson

    ReplyDelete