Monday, May 7, 2012

25 April - ANZAC Day

Our final ANZAC Day on Pohnpei. Mixed emotions on many levels. Our boss was away so it was up to Dean and I to make it happen. Dean pretty much did everything on the organising side of things and it all happened without a hitch. Many people commented that it was the best ANZAC Day service they had been part of in years. A job well done.



 Sam (2 I/C of the Australian Embassy) got us off to a flying start reading the Anzac Day Requiem.

 Dean read a great introduction and I read out an Anzac Day Poem.

I also read out the Ode.

 I laid a wreath on behalf of the fallen.

We were honoured and privilged to have Jeff (Heather's father) visiting us over the period. Jeff is a Vietnam Vet and laid a wreath on behalf of them. Having Jeff and Kath (Heather's Mum) on island for ANZAC Day added to the significance of the day for us all.

 Jaxon laid a wreath on behalf of the children of Australia and New Zealand. Indi was meant to help out but chickened out at crunch time. There was a fair sized crowd that must have been a bit daunting for a three year old at five-thirty in the morning.
 Once the service was over and the crowd moved up to our bbq area for the bacon and egg rolls, rum and coffee, beer, etc I talked Indi into laying a wreath. She was all smiles and happy to be part of it once the crowd moved on.

 Good girl.
 Everything we do is for the last time we will do it on Pohnpei. Sad but happy moments at the same time.

 Nic did a great job getting the kids up and ready. No bingo this ANZAC Day.....



Our 'Eternal Flame'. Until the rain came any way.




The lads in front of our ANZAC Cove memorial.


The old and the new. A great photo.

It wouldn't be a day off if I didn't go fishing. Nic, I and the kids went for a snorkel at one of the close inshore reefs. I then dropped them off and snuck out for a quick fish landing this nice 22lb wahoo just as I was about to call it a day.

Slab up. Dean and I made the front page of the local paper. Oh well, we'll have to buy each other a case of beer......


No comments:

Post a Comment