Saturday, April 14, 2012

13 Apr - Pohnpei Marlin

Friday the 13th now has a whole new meaning and it's definately not a bad thing. I headed out with Brenda and Jerry once again chasing what has been the elusive Pohnpei marlin. Nothing but marlin lures were out, I wanted no other species this day. As luck would have it 40 minutes after we had lines in the water one of the reels starting screaming. I looked out the back and saw a marlin jumping, it was hooked solidly. You beauty. Brenda cleared the other lines, Jerry drove the boat where I wanted it to be and I put on the belt and we settled in for the fight.
32 nervous minutes later I had my first Pohnpei marlin boat side. I have hooked about seven or eight and lost them all before today, but I've learnt from every one. I had never really trolled lures before coming here so I'm happy to have reached the pinacle for the pacific, the pacific blue marlin on stand-up gear.
Not a monster but it was a thing of beauty, you'll have to believe me.
Jerry and I with our catch of the day.
Brenda and I have been waiting for this moment for about six months now.
Nothing like a 'Rex Hunt' for my first marlin in Pohnpei.
The scales, however old, don't lie. 160lbs of pacific blue marlin. Caught on 50lb line = very happy.
I'm not a fan of kill shots but for the first one I had to have it done.
It was obviously hungry. It still had a whole skipjack tuna in it's stomach when it hit my lure.
So it's done, a marlin in Pohnpei. Now I can sleep at night. I just have to catch one next Saturday during the monthly tournament.......

No comments:

Post a Comment