Monday, March 5, 2012

25 Feb - Fishing Tournament

Saturday 25 Feb saw a later than usual start for me in the first tournament of the year. The tournament started at 6am but since it was still dark then we left home about 6:30, not too worried about losing half an hour. Especially with the amount of rain we have been receiving, I was happy to delay the inevitable. What a day it turned out to be. We didn't even have all the lures out when we got our first strike. A barracuda that ended up getting up second place in that category. About 15 minutes later one of the reels started screaming.....

Ten minutes later we had this little beauty on board. An Indo-Pacific sailfish. It jumped four times as I brought it in, putting on an awesome display.
By 8am we had the sailfish, three good sized wahoo and three barracuda. Time to leave the reef in search of marlin. Not a thing until about 11am when we got this little guy. Luckily this also got us second place in it's category. Unfortunately it was our last fish of the day, and to top it off the rain started and didn't stop until just before we weighed in at 5pm. We were freezing....
Our second place, $100 USD stinky barracuda.
My best wahoo ever fell half a pound short of second place in the wahoo category.
The boys trying their best to 'not' break the bill of my sailfish.
It's colours still looks pretty good even 10 hours after it was brought on board. Normally you would let them go but tourament day it's a whole different story. We came second in the tourament with this fish, less than 2kgs behind the winner. That gave us another $250 to go with the $200 for the barracuda and dolphin fish. A pretty good result all in all.
Not huge but big enough. My wahoo was that big I couldn't shut the esky.
Thanks for coming. Fuel and registration covered with beer money to spare. You beauty.
Jerry (my partner in crime) and I back at the surf club. I gave the sailfish, a wahoo and the barracuda to Jerry to take home to his village. They all ate like kings and Jerry was in the good books with his parents and in-laws. If only every tourament was this good. If I can catch a billfish every tournament this year I'll be very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment