Sunday, November 6, 2011

05 Nov - Sea Bees Fishing Day

Saturday I took out Lee and Josh from the US Navy Construction Battalion for a morning fishing trip. These guys and about 20 others are deployed here on Pohnpei for about four months doing community projects such as repairing the state library. They have done exceptionally well to get it all done considering the ever present rain on Pohnpei. I promised Josh that there would be a Mahi Mahi on the boat before we came in. I was pretty confident that the Mahi would have made their way back as the 'Trade Winds' have well and truly picked up bringing all the logs and debri that the Mahi sit under.

Well it didn't take too long to make good on my promise with this beauty on ice. A great start to the morning. The days aim was achieved in the first hour and then it was time to try and catch something much bigger.


Much bigger indeed. Why is it that the big fish always hit the reel with the least amount of line on it? Well it only took 15 minutes to find a marlin and it did the bolt once hooked. I had Josh and Lee clear the other line is no time at all and we were already turning the boat to try and get some line back. The spool was 15-20 turns away from empty; notice that I have connected a snap-swivel from another reel to this reel as the whole lot was going to be thrown in the water if that's what it took to land this fish. Well it stopped just in time to prevent me doing this and we fought the fish for just over an hour before it pulled the hook. Spewen but that's fishing I guess. No happy ending but definately a story for Josh and Lee to tell their kids. The Mahi was the promised fish, maybe I should have promised them a marlin......

No comments:

Post a Comment